All practical exams are taken in person at either an SCAA event or at a Campus. For those Pathways requiring the student to take a practical exam, please visit the Upcoming Events page for testing dates. Passing is 90% on all practical exams. Please check back often, as new testing dates are continually added to this page.
Exams are offered online for the written testing portion of the following Pathway programs:
1. Barista Level 1 and 2
2. Roaster Level 1
3. Coffee Buyer Level 1
4. Coffee Taster Level 1
5. Golden Cup Technician
Exams are given each month. Registration for exams is open approximately the first ten (10) days of each month and the exams are available approximately last two weeks of each month. You can take the exam any time during the testing window. If you are a new member or have never created a profile at the SCAA website, please create a profile here.
To take an exam, simply:
- Register for an exam (see available dates on the Upcoming Classes page and click on an exam listing to register)
REMEMBER: You must register within the first ten days of the month for an exam taking place that month.
- After the registration period passes, within a few days, you will receive an email with a link to the exam website and a user name and password.
- During the testing period, click on the link and login using your username and password.
- Take the exam. Be sure to follow all instructions located at the beginning of the exam. Enough time has been build into the exam time for you to read the instructions and understand them.
- Exam Format: Exams consist of multiple choice, fill in the blank, and matching type questions.
- Exam Times:
Barista Level 1 and 2: 45 minutes
Roaster Level 1: 90 minutes
Coffee Buyer Level 1: 120 minutes
Coffee Taster Level 1: 60 minutes
Golden Cup Technician: 30 minutes
- Exam Passing Scores:
Barista Level 1: 82%
Barista Level 2: 80%
Roaster Level 1: 80%
Coffee Buyer Level 1: 80% (on each section)
Coffee Taster Level 1: 80%
Golden Cup Technician: 85%
- Your exam will be immediately graded upon submitting the exam. You will receive your score via a pop screen and an email.
- Your score will be noted on your profile at SCAA.org within 14 days after the exam testing window closes.
- If you do not pass an exam you will need to retake it. Each retake costs $95. You may take the exam as many times as you wish.
- You do not need any special equipment to take this exam.
Please note that you will be required to agree to a code of conduct in order to take the exam.
If you need further assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help.